About the NERC Geophysical Equipment Facility
The GEF forms part of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Services and Facilities portfolio. We support high-quality, peer reviewed projects across a broad spectrum of earth and environmental sciences by provision of internationally-recognised, state-of-the-art geophysical instrumentation for marine and land-based field experiments.
The GEF consists of three nodes:-
- GEF Edinburgh
- Managed by the University of Edinburgh
- Contract holder: Dr Richard Essery - richard[dot]essery[at]ed [dot] ac [dot] uk
- GEF Leicester: Seis-UK
- Managed by the University of Leicester
- Contract holder: Prof Richard England - rwe5[at]le [dot] ac [dot] uk
- Ocean Bottom Instrument Facility: OBIF
and is guided by the NERC Geophysics and Geodesy Facilities Steering Committee (NGGFSC).
History of the Steering Committee
The Geomagnetic Equipment Pool and the Seismic Equipment Pool combine to form the Geophysical Equipment Pool Management Committee (GEPMC).
Seis-UK is added as a node to the Geophysical Equipment Pool and the committee is renamed to the Geophysical Equipment Facility Steering Committee (GEFSC).
The Ocean Bottom Instrument Facility (OBIF) is added as a third node.
The management of the GEF is transferred, along with other facilities, from the NERC Swindon Office to the British Geological Survey (BGS). The committee combines with the BIGF and SGF to become the NERC Geophysics and Geodesy Facilities Steering Committee (NGGFSC).
Manufacturers and Suppliers to the GEF
- Leica Geosystems supply the GEF with Global Navigational Satellite System receivers, Laser Scanning equipment and software.
- Sensors and Software in Canada manufacture the Pulse EKKO range of GPRs.
- Geonics manufacture the PROTEM time-domain geomagnetic system.
- Sandmeier Scientific Software supply the Reflex processing package.
- Guralp Systems, Nanometrics and Reftek supply seismometers and data loggers.
- 3D Laser Mapping supply the Riegl VZ-1000 laser scanner and software.
- Wind and Sun supply our solar panels and regulators.
Other NERC Facilities
- NERC Field Spectroscopy Facility, also within Edinburgh University School of GeoSciences.
- The Airborne Remote Sensing Facility (ARSF).
- The British Isles Continuous GNSS Facility (BIGF) holds the UK archive of GPS and GLONASS data.
- The NERC Space Geodesy Facility operates a Satellite Laser Ranging (SLR) station, Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) sites and a permanently installed Absolute Gravimeter (AG).